According to the traveler Iohann van Kootwyck, who visited Cyprus in 1598-1599, Copts, as well as other Oriental Christians, arrived there as fugitives after the capture of Jerusalem by Saladin in 1187. In 1342, the Spanish Dominican Alphonse Bonhome referred to an Arabic Life of St. Antony that he found at a Coptic monastery at Famagusta. Documents of Mikha’il, a Coptic metropolitan of Cyprus in 1508, attest to the Audeth family, probably of Syrian origin, which provided donations to priests and churches of Oriental communities, in particular four Coptic churches in the 15th century.
In 1573, the historian Etienne de Lusignan described a Coptic monastery named after St. Macarius as situated outside Nicosia near the village of Platani belonging to the Armenians. An Arabic manuscript on the Pentateuch was copied in 1646 at the Monastery of St. Antony at Nicosia. In 1671, the traveler Johann Wansleben (Vansleb) purchased 16 Coptic and Arabic manuscripts for the Royal Library of Paris. However, the census of 1777, carried out by the Turks, does not mention Copts among the population of Cyprus. The priest Zacharia al-Anba Bula founded a Coptic Church at Nicosia in August 2001 that was dedicated to St. Mark.