Coptic Street


A Bloomsbury district, Borough of Camden, London, W.C.1, a small street in central London opposite the Museum. It was formed during the building boom following the Great Fire of London in 1666 and called Duke Street after the Dukes of Bedford, who owned it.

It was renamed in 1894 to end confusion with other Duke Streets in the capital. The new name was inspired by an important collection of manuscripts from the Coptic church, which had been acquired by the British during the previous year.