CLERICAL COLLEGE (CAIRO)
It was inaugurated as a religious school on 3 January 1875. The aim of its establishment was to prepare a new generation of educated Coptic priests. The main subjects taught were theology, liturgy, Church history, ecclesiastical juris-prudence, and rhetoric, in addition to Arabic, Coptic, geography, and mathematics. When in 1918 Habib Girgis was appointed a headmaster of the school, he greatly improved its curriculum.
He persuaded Patriarch Cyril V (1874-1927) to limit the ordination of priests to its graduates. During the pontificate of Pope Shenouda III (1971-), the Clerical College has attracted many university students, including women, who have joined the evening classes. A number of seminaries in Alexandria, Tanta, Dayr al-Muharraq, al-Balyana, and others are affiliated with the Clerical College of Cairo. The most significant publications of the college are the Coptic (Bohairic) biblical texts and a number of liturgical books.