Catholics of the Coptic rite have been present in the Sudan since the Anglo-Egyptian conquest of 1898. Some of the soldiers of the expeditionary force settled in Omdurman and Khartoum and worked in private business or in government service. A greater number came from Egypt to be employed, especially in the Post and Telegraph Service. The total number of Catholic Copts increased to about one hundred families. They never formed an organized community along confessional lines. Socially they joined the Coptic Orthodox community.
Local priests of the Latin rite have ministered to the Catholic Copts in their parishes. Copts who lived in the provincial towns of the northern Sudan where no resident priest was to be found were regularly visited by a Latin missionary on camel-back.
Catholic Copts were brought by the Latin vicar apostolic from Egypt to staff the Catholic schools in Khartoum and Omdurman from 1902. In 1951 a Latin priest took the Coptic rite in order to give the Copts pastoral care in a more appealing way, but the initiative met with no success and was abandoned. From 1970, a bishop or a priest from Egypt visits the Coptic Catholics in Khartoum and Omdurman.