Places

Churches In Akhmim

Churches in Akhmim Of the numerous churches in Akhmim, two are of some historical interest. The Church of Abu Sayfayn is situated in the southeastern part of the city. A walled enclosure is partitioned into two unequal parts by a wall. The larger area contains a cemetery of the Ottoman period and some dependent structures. …

Churches In Akhmim Read More »

Aflaqah

AFLAQAH A town located in the Egyptian Delta in the Damanhur district of the Beheira Province. The HISTORY OF THE PATRIARCHS (Vol. 2, pt. 3, p. 323) relates that Patriarch CHRISTODOULUS (1047-1077) prophesied that his successor, the man who later became Patriarch CYRIL II (1078-1092), would be a monk named George who lived as a …

Aflaqah Read More »

Afrajun, Al- (Phragonis)

AFRAJUN, AL- (Phragonis) The transmitted name of an Egyptian city, the exact location of which is unknown. The Greek, Latin, and Coptic lists of the bishops who participated in the Council of NICAEA in A.D. 325 mention a Harpocration from Alphocranon. SAWIRUS IBN AL-MUKAFFA‘, in his Arabic version of this list, gives the name of …

Afrajun, Al- (Phragonis) Read More »

Dayr Al-Bisrah (Busrah)

DAYR AL-BISRAH (Busrah) History Dayr al-Bisrah is a small Coptic village on the right bank of the Nile, south of the extremity of the basin of Abnub, at the place where the mountains are very close to the Nile, opposite Shut b, the homeland of the father of Saint THEODORUS “the General” (stratelates) according to …

Dayr Al-Bisrah (Busrah) Read More »

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu

DAYR BUQTUR OF SHU This monastery, of which nothing remains but the church rebuilt in the sixteenth century, is situated on the right bank of the Nile about 3 miles (5 km) north of Abnub, in the direction of DAYR AL-JABRAWI. It is dedicated to Saint VICTOR (Buqtur), a soldier in the fort of Shu …

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu Read More »

DAYR DURUNKAH

Dayr Durunkah

DAYR DURUNKAH Today the church of the Holy Virgin near the village called Dayr Durunkah, to distinguish it from the more important village called Durunkah. It is situated about 6 miles (10 km) southwest of ASYUT on the edge of the mountain in the quarries and tombs. ABU SALIH THE ARMENIAN (beginning of the thirteenth …

Dayr Durunkah Read More »

Dayr Ebifania

DAYR EBIFANIA The SYNAXARION of the Copts, in its recension from Lower Egypt, indicates that the patriarch PETER IV, thirty-fourth patriarch of Alexandria, lived in this Monastery of the Epiphany after his election because of political and religious circumstances. The monastery, it is said, was situated to the south of that of ENATON, in the …

Dayr Ebifania Read More »

Abyar

ABYAR A city located in the Egyptian Delta about 9 miles (14.5 km) northwest of Tanta in the province of Gharbiyyah. The earliest reference to Christians in the area of Abyar is the notice in the HISTORY OF THE PATRIARCHS that around 1117 a hermit named Mercurius lived near the city. The first attested bishop …

Abyar Read More »

Al-Abwab, (The Gates)

AL-ABWAB,  (the gates) A place or district in the medieval Nubian kingdom of ALWA. Several Arab authors agree in identifying it as the most northerly place within the territory Alwa, although its exact location has not been established. L. P. Kirwan (1935, p. 61) places it somewhere in the vicinity of the old Kushite city …

Al-Abwab, (The Gates) Read More »