A village, today called Bani Majda, situated on the left bank of the Nile 3 miles (5 km) west of Manfalut (north of ASYUT). Al-Maqrizi (1853, Vol. 2, p. 506; 1845, pp. 42 [text], 101 [trans.]) mentioned a monastery there, uninhabited in his time (fifteenth century) but serving as a church for the Christians of Manfalut. According to him, it was consecrated to the archangel Gabriel. However, J. Vansleb (1677, p. 361; 1678, p. 217) wrote that it is dedicated to the archangels Gabriel and Raphael. S. Clarke (1912, p. 209, no. 2), who reproduced the official list of the patriarchate, gives Saint MICHAEL as patron of the church. Such permutations among the titulary archangels of churches are very common.
- Clarke, S. Christian Antiquities in the Nile Valley. Oxford, 1912.
- Vansleb, J. Nouvelle Relation en forme de journal d’un voyage fait en Egypte en 1672 et 1673. Paris, 1677. Translated as The Present State of Egypt. London, 1678.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.