On the ancient track between the oasis of Kharjah and that of Dakhlah farther to the west, at the summit of an ‘aqabah (a rough and difficult ascent) that opens on to the plateau dominating the Kharjah depression, are the ruins of a Roman fortress and a pharaonic temple. They seem to have been occupied by hermits when they were abandoned, for one sees there some inscriptions and a cross. These were noted by the archaeologist who specialized in the oases (Fakhry, 1940, pp. 763-65; repr. 1942, pp. 192-93).
- Fakhry, A. “A Roman Temple Between Kharga and Dakhla.” Annales du Service des Antiquités de l’Egypte 40 (1940):763-65 (the Coptic graffiti are edited by E. Driotan).
- . Recent Explorations in the Oases of the Western Desert. Cairo, 1942. Reprints of articles from Annales du Service des antiquités de l’Egypte, including the one above.
RENÉ GEORGES COQUIN
MAURICE P. MARTIN, S. J.