Askew Codex (Codex Askewianus)


A fifth-century parchment codex of 178 leaves inscribed in Coptic containing four treatises collectively called Sophia. The codex is named after its first owner, a London doctor named A. Askew, who acquired it from a London bookseller in 1772. It was purchased by the Museum in 1785 and first published in the mid-19th century. Where in it was originally found is unknown.