APPARITION OF THE VIRGIN MARY
The Coptic Orthodox church in the Cairo suburb of Zaytun was named after the Holy Mother. On the evening of 2 April 1968, it became the scene of the first apparition of the Virgin Mary above its domes. It was witnessed by municipal garage employees across the road, and they immediately reported the event to the priest. These apparitions, in which the Virgin was often seen accompanied by doves, recurred numerous times until the beginning of September.
Those of 4 May to 5 May and 7 July were particularly noteworthy. People of all creeds and denominations came to witness the miraculous scene, often waiting through the night for the occurrence. Many songs were composed to celebrate the event. A liturgical feast of the Transfiguration of the Virgin Mary at Zaytun was sanctioned in 1969 by the late Patriarch Cyril VI (1959-1971). It is celebrated on 24 Baramhat, which, according to the Coptic calendar, marks the anniversary of the first appearance.
- “Apparition miraculeuse de la Sainte Vierge a Zeitoun.” Le Monde copte 1 (1977):23-32.
- Ishak, Fayek M. “The Appearance of the Most Holy Mother of God at Zeytoun, Egypt.” The Orthodox Word 5 (July-Aug. 1969):128-33. . Philosophic and Spiritual Tidings Behind the Zeytounian Holy Appearance, no. 16. Toronto, 1970.
- Viaud, G. Les Pèlerinages coptes en Egypte, d’après les notes du Qommos Jacob Muyser, p. 35. Cairo, 1979.
- Zaki, P. Our Lord’s Mother Visits Egypt in 1968. Cairo, 1977.