AL- HASAN

Ancient quarries situated on the , opposite and a little to the south of the town of Matay. The with their lists of fathers were first mentioned by G. Wilkinson (1843, Vol. 2, pp. 24-31), then by travel guides (Murray, Isambert, Johanne), and incompletely published by (1907, nos. 114-16).

In addition to these inscriptions, the site includes some arrangements and symbols that reveal occupation by Christian hermits: niches on eastern walls for prayer, mortises for hanging lamps, engraved ankhs, representing barks like those that have been found at (Piankoff, 1960, pp. 37-144), at ( and Jacquet, 1972, Vol. 1, p. 79), or at the (Mission suisse, p. 21).

BIBLIOGRAPHY

  • Isambert, E. Itinéraire descriptif historique et archéologique de l’Orient, pt. 2. 2nd ed., Paris, 1878; 3rd ed., Paris 1881; repr. ed., Paris, 1890.
  • Johanne, A. L., and E. Isambert. Itinéraire descriptif historique et archéologique de l’Orient. Paris, 1861.
  • , G. Recueil des inscriptions grecques chrétiennes d’Egypte. Cairo, 1907.
  • Mission suisse d’Archéologie Copte de l’Université de Genève. Le site monastique des Kellia-Basse-Egypte. Louvain, 1984.
  • Murray, J. A Handbook of Travels in Egypt, Including of the Course of the , to the Second Cataract. London, 1867, 1873, 1875.
  • . A Handbook for Travellers in Lower and . London, 1890, 1891.
  • Piankoff, A. “The of at Abydos During the Graeco- and the Christian Occupation.” Bulletin de la Société d’archéologie copte 15 (1960):125-49.
  • Sauneron, S., and J. Jacquet. Les Ermitages chrétiens du desert d’Esna, Vol. 1. Fouilles de l’Institut français d’Archéologie orientale 29/1. Cairo, 1972.
  • Wilkinson, G. Egypt and Thebes, 2 vols. London, 1843.

, S.J.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *