AL-RUZAYQAT (Armant)

A site of ruins near the modern Monastery of Saint George. Presumably these are the remains of a small monastery (popular designation: Dayr al-‘Adhra’), which was evidently already abandoned in early times. The potsherds lying around belong for the most part to the fifth and sixth centuries. The is built of mud bricks, and is almost completely in ruins.

We can recognize the position of the apse with a southern side room and a large part of the south wall, which contains several in close succession. An appears to have been added on the west side at a later period.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

  • Maspero, G. C. égyptologique, p. 204. Paris, 1893.

PETER GROSSMANN