Al-Qays

AL-QAYS

A city located in Middle on the west side of the Nile about 4 miles (6 km) southwest of Bani Mazar in Minya Province. In it was called Kynopolis ano (Upper Kynopolis).

The SYNAXARION commemorates the martyrdom of Bisadah (Psoi) from al-Qays on 24 Tubah. Records indicate that the city was a in the Middle Ages. A bishop Maqarah of al-Qays attended a synod held in Cairo in 1078, and a bishop Butrus from the city was present at the preparation of the holy CHRISM in 1299 (Munier, 1943, pp. 27, 36).

  • Amélineau, E. La Géographie de l’Egypte a l’époque copte. Paris, 1893.
  • Munier, H. des listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.

RANDALL