Al-Baramun

AL-BARAMUN

A city located in the Egyptian about 6 miles (10 km) northeast of al-Mansurah in the province of Daqahliyyah. The city was a bishopric by 1257, when Bishop Mikha’il of al-Baramun was present at the consecration of the holy chrism (Munier, 1943, p. 34). A medieval list of churches in Egypt indicates that there was a of al-Malak Mikha’il in al-Baramun (see Amélineau, 1893, pp. 578, 580).

  • Amélineau, E. La Géographie de l’Egypte a l’époque , p. 88. Paris, 1893.
  • Munier, H. des listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.
  • Timm, S. Das christlich- Ägypten in arabischer Zeit, Vol. 1, pp. 340-41. Wiesbaden, 1984.