Al-Araj

AL-ARAJ

Small oasis on the road that joins the oasis of Siwa, west of Alexandria, to in the oasis of al-Bahariyyah, about 65 miles (100 km) from Siwa. A. Fakhry thinks that the ancient tombs that he excavated there preserve traces of of the period, which would indicate that they must have been occupied by hermits (Fakhry, 1939, p. 614; 1973-1976, Vol. 1). However, A. de Cosson, who had written earlier, advanced an opposing opinion (1937, pp. 226-29).

BIBLIOGRAPHY

  • Cosson, A. de. “Notes on the Bahrên, Nuwêmisah and el-Areg in the Libyan Desert.” Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 23 (1937):226-29.
  • Fakhry, A. “The Tombs of el-Areg Oasis in the Libyan Desert.”
  • du Service des de l’Egypte 39 (1939):609-19.

MARTIN, S.J.

RENÉ- COQUIN