A modern village a few miles south of Cairo and famous for the pyramids from the of (), (Fifth Dynasty), and (Fifth Dynasty). In the village, itself are the remains of a temple from the New Kingdom, probably dedicated to . It is possible that the town , mentioned in , lay in the same spot (cf. , 1988, p. 67). In the course of the in the courtyard of the pyramid of , remains of a and a large building were found. The chapel had a single and a remarkably strong east wall acting as a support for the . Of the large building, only the southwest corner with a door and a base of the southern row of columns have been preserved in .

More building remains from the were discovered in 1978 in the of ; they were identified by the excavators as the living quarters of (Verner, 1980, pp. 158-69; 1978, pp. 155-59). These remains all belong to the late seventh or eighth centuries A.D. It has not been ascertained whether the hermits living there were connected with the monastery of , whose main quarters were situated in the pyramid region of .


  • Borchardt, L. Das Grabdenkmal des Königs Ne-User-Rê, pp. 146f. Leipzig, 1907.
  • Calderini, A. Dizionario dei nomi geografici e topografici dell’Egitto graeco-roman, Vol. 2. Milan, 1988.
  • Timm, S. Das christlich-koptische Ägypten in arabischer Zeit, Vol. 1, pp. 50f. Wiesbaden, 1984.
  • Verner, M. “Excavations at , Season 1976, Preliminary Report.” Zeitschrift für ägyptische Sprache und Altertumskunde 105 (1978):155-59; 107 (1980):158-69.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *