A manuscript of the Coptic Patriarchate, Cairo (Theology 290; Graf, no. 533; Simaykah, no. 333) contains a collection of 149 poems in simple literary Arabic on moral and religious subjects, composed by Anba Bistawrah, known as al-Hariri (Graf, 1934, Vol. 4, p. 133). It was copied by Ibrahim ibn Sulayman al-Najjar al-Miri in March 1709 for the mu‘allim ‘Awad al- Mahallawi, and was offered to the hegumenos ‘Abd al-Masih.
He may be the same hegumenos (priest) who, during the reign of the 103rd patriarch, JOHN XVI (YU‘ANNIS) (1676-1718), and in his patriarchal residence, copied a liturgical manuscript (Coptic Patriarchate, Cairo, Liturgy 15; Simaykah, no. 815; not in Graf) containing a lectionary in Coptic for the Sundays of the first six months of the year. This manuscript was restored in March 1715.
Graf, G. Catalogue de manuscrits arabes chrétiens conservès au Caire. Studi e Testi 134, p. 200. Vatican City, 1934.
KHALIL SAMIR, S. J.